If you are first time parents like us, you would probably be interested in attending antenatal classes. We attended the antenatal classes at Pantai Hospital KL in September, 2 months before we welcomed our baby.
You do not necessarily need to be delivering your child at this hospital to attend the programme. Classes are held in the evenings, or on Saturdays to accommodate the working folks. There are about ten topics covered over the course of a week, around forty-five minutes each with a short tea break between topics.
The Question and Answer session at the end of each topic not only allowed us get answers from trained professionals but gave us an insight to concerns that other couples had.
These are the topics and speakers we found were very useful to us:
- All about breastfeeding by Sister Elizabeth
- Features of a newborn by Dr. Lim Shih Kwang – it’s really not as simple as counting the fingers and toes
- Pain relief in labor by Dr. Satber Kaur
- Care of a newborn by Sister Elizabeth – if you’re hands-on parents like us, learning to carry your baby, bath and change diapers will be useful
This is what we think the programme could improve on:
- Clearer information on what to do on the day of delivery i.e. when to come to the hospital, where to park your car, do you ask for a wheelchair, etc.
- Clearer information on the administrative process, admission and discharge from the hospital, etc.
For more information on the Antenatal Programme at Pantai KL, contact Ms. Umadevi at 03-2296 0905 or firstname.lastname@example.org