Nothing like a home cooked meal :) I find cooking to be therapeutic.
I really enjoyed stumbling upon recipes by different A-Z challenge bloggers – particularly recipes that are kid-friendly.Here is a very simple home cooked chicken porridge (with carrots and spinach) recipe which my son loves! Especially yummy on a rainy day.
Enjoy this with a wide range of condiments like fried shallots, white pepper, cilantro, spring onions and soya sauce.
Chicken Porridge (Kai Chook in Cantonese)
- 1 carrot cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup of rice (white jasmine rice, calrose, or brown rice)
- 1/2 cup of chicken breast, cubed / bite-size
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (I usually add 4 cloves because I love how this flavours the porridge)
- water (can be substituted with homemade chicken stock)
- Wash, peel and chop vegetables and chicken.
- Add all ingredients into a rice cooker. Set to ‘Porridge’ setting. Add enough water (about 5-6 cups of water).
*I have never cooked porridge over the stove because it will take too long.
**If you are planning on using a slow cooker, you may want to prepare it overnight as it would usually take 6 hours on a Low setting.